Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Sorry, Wrong Number

Sorry, Wrong Number
Released Date: September 1, 1948
Director: Anatole Livak
Actors: Barbara Stanwyck, Burt Lancaster, Ann Richards, Wendell Corey, Harold Vermilyea, Ed Begley, Leif Erickson, and William Conrad



     Wow, I cannot believe I have yet to write about the first Stanwyck movie I saw. This one scared me as a kid. I saw it for the first time when I was about 12 or so. And that was about when I was introduced to Hitchcock. Another highlight of mine. But one thing I found neat in my research on this film, was that Barbara Stanwyck's bed scenes, which is most of the movie, was only shot in fourteen days. And I know you won't know what I'm talking about till you see this movie, but there is a scene where Stanwyck gives her husband a cigarette case. Well that case was Stanwyck's own and it was a gift from her best friend, Joan Crawford.

     Leona Stevenson (Barbara Stanwyck) is sick in bed. She has a heart condition, so she's been laid up in a bed for a while. In the beginning of the movie, we find out that she is ill, that she let her nurse leave early and that she has been trying to call her husband but every time she calls, she gets the busy signal. Her husband is Henry J. Stevenson (Burt Lancaster). She keeps calling the operator to get a hold of her husband. Leona tries again, she is frustrated, and when the phone finally gives her a person on the other end, it is two men talking. She tries to break their conversation but they cannot hear her. She then discovers that they are discussing a woman's murder that will happen that night. She then calls the police to tell them what she heard. But they can't do anything because she has no idea who is about to be murdered. Then she calls her father, James Cotterell (Ed Begley) to tell him the news too. We then see a lot of flash backs after an old friend calls. Leona then thinks the murder will happen to her!!! Is that true? And if it is true, who is trying to kill her? Hmmm? Find out, by watching a great movie. One I have loved a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment